This page was composed by a credentialed teacher in California who loves Jesus. "The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 1:14
Capitalize the names of people, places, languages, nationalities, religions, companies, organizations, days, months, holidays, historical documents and events.
If you are writing about something or someone in general do not capitalize the general term (Examples: teacher, church).
Bill is a teacher.
There is a large church in Costa Mesa.
Capitalize titles of people, including relatives.
Pastor Chuck Smith
Don't capitalize the name for the relative or the title of the person when it's preceded by a possessive adjective (my, his, her, ect.).
My uncle Bill has a Toyota.
Don't capitalize the title if it follows a name.
William Smith, mayor of Brownsville, is running for governor.
The Mayor of Brownsville is running for governor.
Capitalize names of departments within your own organization.
Our Personnel Department is large.
Don't capitalize occupations.
He is an accountant.
His mom is an instructor.
Don't capitalize the seasons of the year.
I like summer the best of all the seasons.
Names of courses of study other than those derived from proper names are capitalized only if they refer to a specific course.
I think I will take Anthropology 130 next semester.
If the college course is derived from a proper name, without naming the specific course, it is capitalized.
I'm going to take English and French.
Don't capitalize general courses of study, those not derived from proper nouns, such as: anthropology, chemistry, math, and biology. These are terms for fields of study and not proper names.
I'm going to take an anthropology course next semester.
Capitalize the names of people in a certain area of the country.
I like Southerners; they are very friendly.
Certain areas in California are increasingly recognized as popular names (Bay Area, Southern California, Central Coast, etc.) and as such are capitalized.
Capitalize the first word of a quoted sentence.
Jesus said, "No one comes to the Father except through me."
Correct words as needed to conform to the rules of capitalization.
Corrections follow down the page.
1. The declaration of independence was written in 1776 by the founders of the united states.
2. Last Spring we finished reading the entire bible.
3. I went to Calvary high school in the State of California.
4. Jesus went to the mount of Olives.
5. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought to Jesus a woman caught in the act of Adultery.
6. She stood before the group of people and a Pharisee said to Jesus, "teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery."
7. I work in our personnel department and often hire accountants and writers.
8. In the house of representatives, there are some government officials who are southerners.
9. I met representative Peligosi, the speaker of the house of representatives, at a new year's eve party held in the capitol.
10. Ex-president Carter said, "we all hope for peace in the middle east."
11. I must take algebra 2 and a History class.
12. When Jesus saw his faith, he said to the man, "take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."
1. The Declaration of Independence was written in 1776 by the founders of the United States.
2. Last spring we finished reading the entire Bible.
3. I went to Calvary High School in the state of California.
4. Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
5. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought to Jesus a woman caught in the act of adultery.
6. She stood before the group of people and a Pharisee said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery."
7. I work in our Personnel Department and often hire accountants and writers.
8. In the House of Representatives there are some government officials who are Southerners.
9. I met Representative John Boehner, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, at a New Year's Eve party held in the Capitol.
10. Ex-president Carter said, "We all hope for peace in the Middle East."
11. I must take Algebra 2 and a history class.
12. When Jesus saw his faith, he said to the man, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."